Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Masai Money.

My mother once told me a story about her experience in a bank when Masai's walked in. My mother used to bank with KCB, now she takes her money to 'Mwagi wa ekwiti'! That was a while ago, I think around the time when I was learning that the ka dream you have of you in the toilet taking a piss only to be woken up by a warm, wet sensation is really a trap sent by the devil that I fell for every time...I digress. Back to the Masai story, this was when banks didn't have those machines that count money faster than you can blink. From the story I gathered that the Masai's had a liking for KCB, perhaps the lion logo was that alluring, who knows. Again, I digress. She told me that if a Masai was in front of you in the queue, you'd be better off taking a seat and getting a bottle of water because you were going to be there for a while, worse if they were two of them or more, then perhaps you come the following day and hope not to find a Masai ahead of you. You see, they came in with a lot of money, and I mean a lot. Not in fancy briefcases or bags or even large envelopes, no. You remember those large plastic bags with some picture of a cowboy on a horse? Yes, those paper bags, full of bundles of money, no doubt from selling cows or wheat or something.
They guy would not even be in fancy clothes or something of the sort. He would graciously make his way into the bank in those Masai shukas, akala shoes, you know, those made from tyres, they'd probably have to leave the njora with the guard but the club would most definitely be hanging on the guy's waist, without a care in the world that he looks dirty, and with his discoloured teeth and heavy accent he gives the cashier the bag and the count begins. Why would he care about holding up the line for probably several hours, why would he bother himself with trivial matters of mortal men, when he, the unbothered Masai, someone you would other wise sneer at if he greated you, is here depositing perhaps millions. You are there probably to enquire whether the 30k salary has been deposited. These guys have money, just because they don't look like it doesn't mean they don't. Be careful how you treat people, they might be capable of buying you and your entire lineage.

No comments:

Post a Comment